Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

walt disney world {a vacation album!}

It's a day I never thought I'd see. A day 4 years in the making. The day I finally posted my completed 2007 Disney vacation album to the Two Peas gallery! Woo-hoo!

I have to tell you this project was overwhelming to me for a number of reasons. We took soooo many pictures, I had no idea where to start. And it's not every day you get to spend 5 days at Disney World. In fact, it has been our first and ONLY trip to Disney, so recording those memories was really important to me.

I won't bore you with all 24 or so layouts {I only posted 20 to my gallery at Two Peas-feel free to check out the whole album there if you are so inclined :>} but here are a couple of my favorites:

This is actually my son's favorite in the whole album, which makes it one of my favorites too. His reaction to this layout and the smile on his face when he sees this page are why I scrapbook.

This one is my favorite:


I love that little house die cut sticker and the cool picture of the mouse pumpkin. {It's the little things, people. It doesn't take much to make me happy.}

A few things I learned while making this album:
-Consistency is key! I used the same font for the titles throughout. I have the Mickey & Friends font cartridge for my Cricut and just adjusted my size depending on how long the title was. {BTW, my Gypsy was a huge timesaver here-I took it with me to my kids' basketball and football practices and worked on titles. All I had to do was plug it into my Cricut and press cut. Huge timesaver!}

-I used the same journaling font and text box set up for all of my journaling. I used CK Journaling, which is a favorite of mine, because it was clean and easy to read. Didn't distract from the pictures or the title. I just changed the color based on the cardstock I was using for each layout.

-My family blog was a vitally important to my journaling. I kept a detailed blog about this trip on my family blog and I used it to help with the journaling-90% of the story was already done. I sometimes slack off on keeping that blog up to date and this exercise was a good reminder for me on how important it is.
 ETA: Just realized the Disney trip was on my old family blog that was up before we had Brody. Oops!

- I didn't buy all of the materials for this album at once because that would have been crazy expensive. I picked them up here and there when I saw them on sale or with coupons. BUT, and this is key, I kept everything together in a 12 x 12 box that was set aside just for this project. As I got closer to putting the album together I started putting together Cropper Hopper folders with pictures, cardstock, stickers, and memorabilia for each park. This made assembling that album much faster!

It feels so good to have this album done, this makes 3 vacations completely finished! I have a scrapbook night scheduled with some friends in 3 weeks-should I be good and work on our 2009 Wisconsin trip or jump right into this year's Florida beach vacation?? Hmmnnnnn....

6 comments:

  1. what a great page!

    i hope one day we can go to disney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting this labor of love done! We are hoping to go for our first time in a year or so. (keep your fingers crossed). Good luck with your next project and thansk for the tip! -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!!! It feels so good to be finished with a project, especially one of this magnitude :) I am trying to work on a vacation album now, but nothing on the "Disney level" haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! Love that you stuck with it to the end. I would be overwhelmed too. I have lots of vacays that aren't scrapped for that very reason. You did great and you should be very pleased with yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so inspiring to me! I also have tons of photos from Florida in 2007 that I have been wanting to scrap.
    Plus a trip to Ireland in 2009. Thankfully I kept a journal and added that to my original family blog. But still I need to get started!

    ReplyDelete